José A. Navarro
FollowingUnfollow


0 1066      

Contact information and description


Telephone:
Fax:
Mobile phone:
Calle de Rafael Jardines Montesinos ,
41001 Sevilla, Sevilla, España
Website:

 

Gold tower was built between 1220 and 1221 by the governor Almohad Seville, Abu al-Ula, a twelve sided base. Blocked the way to Arenal by a section of wall that joined with the Torre de la Plata, which was part of the walls of Sevilla who defended the fortress . There is a tradition that to prevent access to the river port, extended from its base a thick chain to the river to the Tower of Strength (now destroyed), located across the river in the present district of Triana , this legend is false because the Fort Street on the edge of Triana is so named in the nineteenth century, formerly Calle Limones, on the other side, more accurately, in Chronicles by Alfonso X the Wise, describing detail the capture of the city of Sevilla, only mentioned a string, which held all the boats of the bridge linking the city with the Castle of St. George known later, on the edge of Triana. Upstream, prevented the passage called the bridge of boats.

The Spanish fleet commanded by Admiral Ramón de Bonifaz broke the bridge in 1248 up the river on the other arm, before the troops of Ferdinand III of Castile stormed the city. This historical passage starring Cantabrian sea in the service of the Spanish Navy was immortalized in the shields of the four villages of the Costa de Cantabria ( Laredo , Castro Urdiales, Santander and San Vicente de la Barquera) and was subsequently incorporated into the coat of Cantabria. They represent the Torre del Oro and a ship breaking the chains that closed the passage by the river Guadalquivir.

After being conquered, was used as a chapel dedicated to Saint Isidore of Seville . Then used as a prison.

In the sixteenth century had a ruinous state, so it was a work of consolidation. The tower was badly damaged by the Lisbon earthquake of 1755, after which the Marquis de Monte Real proposed to be demolished to widen the car ride horses and make straight access to the Triana bridge, but that project never to be held by the opposition of the people of Sevilla, who came to tell the king, who intervened. In 1760 he managed the massive damage to the lower floor of the tower, strengthening it with rubble and mortar, leaving the door of the passage round the wall and main entrance door. That same year he built the upper cylindrical body, designed by the military engineer Sebastian Van der Borcht, architect also of the Royal Tobacco Factory. These works changed the face of the tower compared to that seen in engravings from the XVI and XVII.